To save both of us, I’m going to keep this light on the commentary and heavy on the photography.
Last weekend, a team of four nincompoops participated in an international bike relay that spans this distance between Haines Jct, Yukon and Haines, Alaska. The nincompoop who writes this blog decided it would be a good idea to cycle only once in advance. She doesn’t like roads.
For these nincompoops, the bike relay involved the following:
- Waiting for Michael to light a fire under his arse and meet us. Olga (Zig’s ride) can only go so fast.
- Finding good use for a bag of munchies the size of a small ten year old, or large seven year old.
- Discovering someone’s mother, who had attempted to conceal herself in the bushes – Pitifully.
- Drooling over, and contemplating the consequences of joyriding pretty green bicycles.
- Lee. Reclining comfortably.
- Somebody overfilling their sleeping pad and wondering afterward if it’s actually supposed to have the buoyancy to raise a Subaru.
- The leader of the first pack looking back. Major no-no buddy.
- Logan being a Lard… on … and off the bike.
- Logan working hard occasionally.. trying to make up for his deflated tires.
- A runner on a bike, who is also a blogger, and who is far too determined to lift her head.
- A bagpipe player. One that played from his support vehicle throughout the entire race. Emphasis on entire race. Both inspirational and painful to watch.
- Ziggy’s sore bum and my foot. I kicked it to make it feel better. Don’t question my methods.
- Our trusty man pack.
- A rider named Michael, being far too happy. Man up and grind Mike.
- A rider named Ziggy with something to prove.
- A rider named Ziggy with something to throw savagely at her support vehicle. Thanks for your leftover shot bloks zig.
- A really very good teammate, who is really very excellent at water bottle hand-offs.
- A self-righteous neighbour of mine. Thinks he’s all that because he beat us. Whatever. I’m your neighbour too. Guess who’s installing flood lights.
- A sign. Don’t make me explain the funny.
- Freaking Daisies.
- Bill Parry’s Patchwork Pink Pants
- Four tired nincompoops. One of whom is using all of her remaining energy just to remain vertical.
- Brittany’s family! Yes even they were involved! I bet you’re happy to see M. I sure am.
- Nansen! Yes, he was involved too! Everybody is always happy to see Nansen.
- A good helper. One who was not involved in the not illegal peddling of things that are not hooch.
- A man and his drink of choice. This man is manly. You will meet none manlier.
- FREE MEALS. That were totally paid for in advance..
- A field full of tents; the field saw more intoxication than it deserved to.
- Two super fresh individuals the next morning. One with unbeatable hair. Lee.
- Two more super fresh individuals. One with a spoon in his mouth.
- One even fresher individual… with a vibrant career in grass blade whistling ahead of him.
- Multiple morning mother faces.
- Multiple morning Brittany faces. You know I do this for you people. Please know how fortunate you are.
- A brand new bike, because real riders build their bikes out of hammers. You pansy.
- A pan of delicious vegan berry snack cake. One that you should never cover with tinfoil before it’s cooled and take it on a roadtrip. Because sealing moist baked good makes them moister. Like very moist. moist. moist. moist. Yes, it’s a terrible word. I just like to press your buttons.
The cake was still extra tasty. Obviously it was. It was created by Mama Pea. I implore you not to underbake it.
But please. Bake it. Then bring it with you on a bike race. You’ll make cyclist friends.
Friend Maker Berry Cake
adapted from Peas and Thank You
- 1/2 c. soy milk
- 3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. hazelnut-almond butter (or whatevs)
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 t. almond extract
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. spelt flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 cup cut strawberries
- 3/4 frozen blueberries